Thursday 29 September 2011

Tangled Up In Blue

DEALING WITH THE, AHEM.....OTHER SHOWER OF SHITE

Well with Derby day looming, I have come to accept that there will be a certain amount of shit flying across the office, in fact I may have even threw some petrol on the fire, one of the usual Alehouse Warriors from the red persuasion was listing to his cretin friend all the reasons why they will beat us in the Derby, as I was in their vicinity I enquired "Is there a match on this weekend boys?", took a-back and a little surprised my colleague responded (quite annoyed at my ignorance) "Yeah lad its the fucking Derby" I reply with indifference "oh yeah, it's your FA Cup final, I think most Evertonians have out grown it" and then I casually walk away........its all about the small victories.

They really get on my nerves at times, and I am sure I get on theirs, but I would hate to be a one club city.  Don't get me wrong I would love to see them in League 1 for a few years even if it was just to see how many of their Scandinavian contingent would keep their season tickets for home games against Carlisle. I enjoy the banter, I enjoy the fact that workplaces, family and friends are of mixed allegiances it makes for good times and good laughs.

Football means so much to this city, it is inbuilt in its residents, passed down from father to son, it gives people hope and in some cases a reason to live.  During the 1980's when Margaret Thatcher and her Government tried to systematically destroy the city of Liverpool and in the midst of the widespread unemployment, poverty and depression played out in the backdrop of crumbling terrace houses, the success of the city's football teams brought people out of themselves, escapism from a dreary and desperate time.  A member of the upper echelons of the clergy once stated that he truly believes Everton and Liverpool's haul of trophy's stopped people who we would now term as 'suicide risks' from taking that final step. 

Cheer on the blues, lets hope we batter the bastards but remember Rocky Balboa could not be the great good guy that he was if he was not put against the horrible villain Ivan Drago.

Scouse Woman to Evertonian husband - "You think more of fucking Everton than you do of me!"
Husband - "I think more of Fucking Liverpool than I do of you!"

Lets hope all us Blues have a great weekend.

The Bullens Ultra
Twitter @BullensUltra 


No comments:

Post a Comment